Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Start the rewrite.

I suppose it's not very good form to create a blog, invite people to read it, and then not update it for over two months. I apologize for that. However, the two months between updates was not completely devoid of productive work. I have been doing a good amount of preparation before I embark on actually rewriting my novel. This preparation has included re-reading the first chapter and taking copious notes, creating an outline for the rewrite, doing a lot of conceptual writing regarding characters and various themes I want to convey, and a lot of thinking about everything to get me back into the right frame of mind. It's been over five years since I did any actual writing for this novel, and I knew I couldn't just jump back into it like nothing had changed. I've also been trying to do more normal reading, hoping that I can learn from real writers and develop a distinct personal style and voice in my writing. I get sad when I think of all the writerly development I have missed out on by not being very productive the last few years, but I don't let it discourage me. I just have to make up a lot of ground at some point. I feel, however, that I have a new, fresh perspective on my work, and that is going to make the overall work a lot stronger. I am confident that the rewrite is going to make for a better, more entertaining novel; I just need to start the actual rewrite.

Start. The. Rewrite.

Start.

The.

Rewrite.

-----

Two days ago I created a little plan for what needs to be done before I start the rewrite. Once these steps are complete, I will force myself to get working. They are:

1. Transcribe and organize all of my written notes, outlines, etc. and organize them for efficient retrieval.
2. Finish re-reading Jonathan Franzen's essay "Why Bother" which deals with the state of the American novel and writing in general, and goes along with other recent reading of authors like David Foster Wallace.
3. Articulate my thoughts and beliefs about writing into my own "artistic credo," a statement on why I want to write, what writing means to me, etc.

Since I created that plan, I've finished the second item and have made good progress on the first. The first item is the most important, as it will make the rewriting process flow more smoothly, and it will help me synthesize everything, the many different plans, notes, and outlines I've made in the eight years since starting this novel. The third item shouldn't take too long, as I have various journal entries to reference on the topic of writing. I feel it's wise to define why I want to write at the outset of this push to finish my novel, as refocusing my priorities and convictions can't help but be a positive move on my part.

At this point I feel that I should be starting the rewrite by the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment